Tuesday, June 26, 2007

D' Nealian Manuscript

At the end of every school week, the parents in my daughter’s “little school” get to receive some notes from their school director and teachers about the week that was. It’s written in a one-page bondpaper that’s inserted in the assignment envelope. It’s filled with various information such as message from the school director, tips from the experts, some reminders and the week’s lessons and activities. That’s what I like about this school coz the parents are always updated of their kids’ development and activities.

So I was told that my 4-year old will learn how to read and write this year. There was another note that’s inserted in my daughter’s assignment envelope. It’s another bondpaper with the D’ Nealian Alphabet printed on it. In the note, the center director informed the parents to use the D’Nealian manuscript instead of the Zaner-Bloser type (stick letters) in doing some of our kids’ writing activities at home. Oh well, I started teaching my daughter to write at 3 years old using the stick letters and now I’ll be shifting to what the school suggests.



I looked up the net to learn more about the D’ Nealian manuscript since it’s the first time that I’ve encountered this word. These are the information I got from www.dnealian.com.

Advantages:

1. It will eliminate the b-d reversal problem.

2. D'Nealian writing provides for normal sized print, not large letters which in reality may be drawing letters, not writing.

3. It aids reading by giving immediate letter to word associations in drill and practice work. This helps build basic vocabulary. Reading and writing are thus correlated, not separated subject skills.

4. Learning is accomplished on a continuum, without a serious break in the development process. 87% of D'Nealian lower case letters are the same as their cursive version. Children easily move into cursive writing when ready.

5. D'Nealian develops the rhythm necessary for the flow of cursive writing.

6. It offers a complete audio, visual, tactile, kinesthetic approach to teaching handwriting.

7. It provides for individuality connected with handwriting.

8. It will improve poor writing of upper grade students.


Since I enrolled my daughter in that school, the teachers and director has every right to impose what they think is right and good for my kid. I concede to whatever writing manuscript they would let my daughter practice or use. I just hope my daughter will not have any difficulty having used to the stick letters for a year now.

No comments: