Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Choices (again)

You are the person who has to decide. Whether you'll do it or toss it aside; you are the person who makes up your mind. Whether you'll lead or will linger behind. Whether you'll try for the goal that's afar. Or just be contented to stay where you are.” - Anonymous -

I received a call from Company A yesterday right after dinner. Yes, I got the job as Business Services – Executive Assistant (or something like that). I have until this morning to decide or else they have to consider other candidates for the position. The pay is very low (almost half) compared to what I’m earning right now but the benefits are so attractive. 13th month, 14th month, unused leaves converted to cash, retirement plan, hmo and no questions about the “day job”.

Now, I’m left with a decision whether to take the offer or not. Right after the phone call, I talked to Ms. O (my boss) to heed some advice. She told me that it’s really up to me to decide. She said that she will always be biased because of course she wants me to stay. But she will not stop me from leaving because she doesn’t want me to blame her if things don’t work out with X. What makes it so hard to decide is the fact that I just got a promotion from my current employer – a notch higher than I used to be. It was unexpected and I don’t intend to announce it to the entire company. But for the sake of this blog, I’m now telling the world.(ironic)

I never felt so blessed having to choose between two promising careers. Others may not be given this chance. But it was indeed a very tough decision to make. It was much more difficult since I have to make a choice overnight. I didn’t have the luxury of time to weigh and sort things out. Although I already made a decision to stay on, the call from company A gave me second thoughts. But as I was contemplating again on the consequences of my decision, I remembered a short message sent to me by my friend. It says “The minute you think of giving up…think of the reasons why you held on so long”. Okay, so why did I stay with X this long? The pay? Yes, it’s a motivation. The boss? Yes, she’s more like a mother. The team? Yes, because they’re more like my friends. But beyond that, it’s the spirit of camaraderie and fun and the relationships I’ve built with the people in the organization. It’s irreplaceable!

I also consulted hubby about my decision and I have his full support. I guess I’m staying. As what I’ve said in my previous post, I’m giving it another year. When I’m ready and when the time is right, there might be some companies out there better than company A. I hope so…

Now I can go to sleep.

No comments: