Tuesday, February 12, 2008

On Valentines...On Love

Tomorrow is Valentines Day.
It may be red-letter day to some lovestruck couples but to me and Earl, it's just an ordinary Thursday. We don't normally celebrate the occasion. I used to make a big fuzz out of it for not going with the flow but times have change and my view on this day has immensely matured.

In my younger years, I used to think that LOVE is all about hugs and kisses and dinner dates and flowers and chocolates and mushy love notes and cheesy text messages and calls and butterflies in my stomach. Now that I have a husband and kid, I view love in a different perspective. More mature this time. More of others rather than myself. More of what I can give than what I will receive. It goes beyond material things and the nauseating feeling of being love; it is doing little sacrifices for your loved ones without any qualms or hesitations or expecting something in return. Like caring for a sick daughter. Like waking up way too early to cook breakfast for your family. Like going out of the way to run errands for your sister. Like taking time to listen to a friend with marital woes. Like sharing financial blessings with your parents. These things we do for love never go out of style...never wither...never causes cavities (like chocolates)...never a tad bit corny. And it's a sure hit to capture the hearts of people we love.

Flowers and balloons may have a way of making our heart skip a bit or leaving us starry-eyed for a while, but what really matters the most is the love we can give not just on Valentines Day but everyday of our lives. And oh, it's not just love but the many things that goes with it --- respect, trust, commitment, honesty, care, humility --- and the list goes on and on.

my everyday valentine


"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."
~Mother Teresa~

2 comments:

feng said...

and all I thought that I was the only one corny and mushy, here you are. mas corny ka ata sa kin Mhalou!

kidding aside, isn't it amazing how time and age change us? those butterflies in the stomach during the younger years, I can't remember feeling that for the longest time. :)

Happy Valentines Day!

MHALOU said...

inspired by you...and that makes us both "corny" hehe. yeah, no more butterflies in the tummy for me too. :-)