Friday, October 05, 2007

Ten Things I Love About My Lola (and more...)

"There is nothing more wonderful than the love and guidance a grandparent can give his or her grandchild."
EDWARD FAYS, The Grandparent's Treasure Chest

1. I love listening to her stories of long ago --- her lovestory, her passion for arts, the way things were, growing up during the time of war and how she raised 8 beautiful and successful children.

2. I love how she would protect me from boys trying to woo me when I was still a teenager.

3. I love how she would brag about my parents to other people though some of the things she says may be half-true.

4. I love how she remains stylish amidst the signs of aging --- wrinkles and all.

5. I love her being pious and her being close to God. I am always fascinated by her ability to recite a Latin prayer. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen

6. I love her selflessness. She has always been generous with her blessings not only to her family and relatives but also to the community where she belongs.

7. I love the scent of tobacco in her room. For some odd reason, whenever I sniff a tobacco elsewhere I am always reminded of this one hubby she has --- smoking and chewing tobacco. And the feeling is like being in her room for a minute.

8. I also love the massage oils she concocts by herself. It does not only relieve muscle pains but also helps you doze off to sleep.

9. I love her little buddy who has been with her since time immemorial, who has been a trusty substitute of her children and apos, who accompanies her in all those lonely days and nights --- her TRANSISTOR RADIO.

10. I love every moment spent with her --- every summer visits, long walks around town, a day spent at the beach, my first menstruation, daily Rosary and Angelus and just about every tiny bit of memory I have with her.

…and I know these things aren’t here to stay forever. My last visit a few days ago shows a grandmother who has reached the sunset of her life. Life itself has taken its toll on her. She’s old but her face still shows a certain glow ---- more of a dignified and contented fellow which stays with her from her youth. I wish to see her more often coz I know it’s always been her happiness to have her children and grandchildren around. Love you, Lola!

No comments: