Thursday, May 24, 2007

Que Sera Sera

It was already past midnight; hubby and I just arrived home from work. While I was putting my 4-year old daughter off to slumber, I had this conversation with her:

Alex: Mom, please buy me a car ha!
Me: Huh?!?
Alex: Buy me a car ba...a red one the same with Miss O.
(Miss O is my boss --- she drives a Ford Escape)
Me: Okay, but you don't know how to drive.
Alex: I know naman because I'll be big na.
Me: Where do you want to go when you have a car?
Alex: Let's go to SM, Ayala and to church. You ride on daddy's car. Ate Metch, Ate Ann and Ate Mags (my sisters)ride with me.
Me: Alright, let's go to sleep coz it's already late. (It was already way past her bedtime.)
Alex: Basta, you buy me a car...don't forget!
Me: Okay.


For the next two hours or so, I wasn't able to sleep and was contemplating about what she told me. I'm not sure if I'll be happy or worried. At four years old, she knows what she wants or maybe she was just influenced by what she sees around her. One time, out of the blue she told me, "Mom, I want to be a nurse when I grow up". That was two weeks after she was confined at the hospital. I was dumbfounded and didn't know what to say. Until now, whenever somebody asks her what she wants to be when she grows up, she would answer without thinking or blinking "I want to be a nurse".

I don't know what the future holds for her but I'm glad she sees herself having such a noble profession as a nurse. When I was in prep school, I remember so well what my ambition then and it was even printed in bold print in our yearbook "To be a nurse". But along the way, things changed as well as my preferences. I was directed to what I am now. My parents were never pushy and just let me carve my own career path. Guess, I'll do the same with my daughter. Whatever profession or endeavor she will enter into, as a mom, I will always be her support system emotionally and financially. I will be her cheerleader whether she chooses to be a nurse, a supermodel or a rockstar.

Right now, she may paint pictures or sing songs with me but time will come she will have to decide on her own. It's still a long journey for my baby...the future is yet to come and with all its uncertainties, we could just say "Que Sera Sera, What will be, will be".

1 comment:

Analyse said...

that's what moms are for, to be the wings beneath our kid's wings.. i love hearing kids tell about their dreams.. i probably miss it even.. here in france, kids don't dream like filipino kids.. you ask them what they want when they grow up and they'll look at you like you're weird..