Tuesday, November 22, 2005

one year

Today marks my first year anniversary of being employed with my present employer. Career-wise, it seems like nothing has improved and that I was stagnant for the past year. There are some new things that I have learned though but it was far beyond what my previous employer can offer.


I left GS after having been employed for almost five years mainly because of financial reasons. My current employer, being an American company has offered me almost twice the amount of what I have been receiving in GS. I also have no qualms having to go back to staff level and earn this much. I have made my mark with GS and climbing through the corporate ladder --- I was almost there but then the money motivated me more. My family is growing and I still have some obligations to my parents and my siblings, I accepted the offer with a heavy heart. It was tough leaving behind the company whom I have learned to love, whose culture I have learned to embrace and whose direction I am certain with.


Right now, I am uncertain what this company has in-store for me aside from the 10-digit salary that I am earning monthly. I just realize that in this rat race, money isn’t the “it”. It’s a motivation but will never be a satisfaction. I have longed to work again in the HR field. I miss the fulfilling role of working with people --- facilitating trainings, working on employee benefits, conducting interviews, company events, performance reviews, managing feelings. I miss the role of being the “employee champion” again.


I have a wonderful team in the executive support services department. I have a great boss we call Ms. O. But I just hate it when some people in the company misconstrue us of being “just the secretary” or simply somebody people can boss around with --- telephone operator, call for taxi, call for food delivery, supplier of tissue paper, sometimes the utility. It’s not that I’m complaining but sometimes it’s just too much and what they’re asking is no longer in my job description. Of course, there’s what you call “going the extra mile” in everything you do. Whatever!


So, it’s my one year anniversary in this company. I appreciated the fact that the company recognized our presence during our monthly general assembly. Oh yeah, and having to put our resume pictures in a powerpoint presentation showing our colleagues how we look like one year ago…it’s so sweet of them huh!


Pardon me if I’m like complaining a lot --- I’m just not happy anymore. Cheers to my one year anniversary…I’m glad I’m still alive!!!


The Graveyard Look

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oist, musta?! I'm back blogging. hehehe. Naka-cope na sa new work. hehehe.

CONGRATULATIONS sa 1st year nimo! :-)